Speculation as to who would be chosen to play the 12th incarnation of Doctor Who started almost immediately after Matt Smith's announcement several months ago that he would be leaving the series after the Christmas special airing this December. BBC is set to announce to identity of the new actor later today in a special Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor, airing on BBC. Would it be too much to ask for David Tennant back? Or maybe Benedict Cumberbatch?
Speaking of Cumberbatch, a teaser for the upcoming third series of Sherlock was released by the BBC this week. Don't expect it to reveal anything, but it's great to know that the show is on its way back!
In Star Wars news, it was announced last weekend during the closing of Celebration Europe that Star Wars Celebration VII will be held in Anaheim, CA at the Anaheim Convention Center on April 16-19, 2015. This is a switch from the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando that has hosted the last two Celebrations, and also about eight months later than the usual two years between events that we've been seeing lately. I'm sure the purchase by Disney and the release of Episode VII in May of 2015 have everything to do with that! :) Tickets go on sale August 7th (yes, that would be this Wednesday), and while that may seem crazy early, the Anaheim Convention Center is a smaller venue than the OCC in Orlando, and with Episode VII looming this is sure to be a massive event. And, yes, that is indeed the same Anaheim Convention Center that the Craft and Hobby Association (CHA) Winter trade shows are held in.
And, along with all of that news, I have the usual roundup of geeky picks, too!
From the top left:
- These Muppet cupcakes with those amazing sculpted faces recently graced the pages of Cupcakes Take the Cake.
- This amazing Doctor Who sand sculpture was created in honor of the show's upcoming 50th anniversary.
- Domo cookies! Need I say more?
- Now you can be the 10th Doctor in the kitchen with this Tennant-inspired cooking apron.
- An epic Photoshop job puts a wedding couple smack in the middle of a scene from Star Wars, featured at When Geeks Wed.
- You know it had to happen sometime- Pocky now comes in a lightsaber variety!
- Firefly + Calvin and Hobbes = too cute for words. And how cunning is Hobbes in a Jayne hat?
- Monopoly may have officially replaced the iron with a cat, but now you can replace the entire set of gaming pieces with these Doctor Who icons. I call dibs on the TARDIS!
- It's a sure bet that any hit kids' movie will spawn lots of cool themed parties, and this is the first Monster's University one I've spotted. I'm sure there will be more to follow!