Thursday, June 27, 2013

this month in my scrap room | june 2013

This Month in My Scrap Room is based a regular series of posts by Sue Althouse, who graciously allowed me to use her idea on my own blog. Each month you'll find me documenting the little (and big) things that I'm working on to make my scrapbooking space more efficient so I can spend less time looking for things and more time playing with paper!

This month has been a quiet one for scrappy organization around here, but I have worked on a few little projects that have made some supplies and finished projects so much easier to find, use, and enjoy!

Finally, almost two years after ordering these binder spine labels from Amazon, I finally took the time to finish labeling all of my albums. I use American Crafts 12x12 D-Ring binders for my layouts, and these little black tabs fit perfectly (and snugly, so no falling off!) over the edges. I didn't use the paper tabs that came with the labels and printed my own out instead so I could use my favorite Traveling Typewriter font.

DSC_9799.jpg

Most of my albums are labeled by year with a few special albums- vacations, holidays, etc.- thrown in the mix.

After falling in love with Heidi Swapp's new masks at Michaels, I found myself in need of a way to organize all of my stencils and templates to make them easy to look through. Previously I'd been just throwing them in a drawer in one of my IKEA Alex carts, but they were getting tangled up and torn (not to mention they were a pain to look through, meaning I rarely used them), so I went searching for another solution.

DSC_9804.jpg

This post on Cocoa Daisy's blog turned out to be the perfect solution for me since I already had large binder rings, some old 12x12 post-bound page protectors, and 8.5x11 sleeves on hand. I did buy a package of We R Memory Keepers pages designed to hold four 6x6 layouts on a 12x12 page, though, since I had so many 6x6 templates.

DSC_9805.jpg

DSC_9806.jpg

I'm not quite sure what I want to do with the cover yet, so for now it's just a sheet of plain chipboard (also just laying around the scrap room) tucked inside another of the post-bound page protectors. I'm sure I'll deck it out sometime when I'm feeling inspired, but for now I'm just enjoying having all of my misting masks so easily accessible!

DSC_9803.jpg

My washi tape also got moved to a new location. Previously I had it in my spinner rack from Harbor Freight, but the way the rolls were stacked on top of each other made them hard to look through, and I constantly had rolls falling out because it was just too full. I moved the inks that used to inhabit two IKEA Alex drawers to the spinner instead (where they're also much easier to find) and am now using those drawers as my new washi storage.

DSC_9787.jpg

These small plastic containers were purchased at Target years ago and were sitting empty in our attic, and I was very happy to have yet another storage solution that didn't require any new purchases!

DSC_9789.jpg

That's it for the moving, sorting, and storing projects this month! None of these took very long to complete, and they've all made it much easier to find my supplies (or in the case of the albums the right one I need to file a layout away). That's my favorite kind of organization- the kind that helps me actually locate and use my stash!