Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Because I Don't Want to Forget What Days Like This Are Like...

This was my crazy day today...
  • Woke up at 6:30 and read the iPad in bed for a bit. Take Sasha (babysitting Darren's Mom's dog this week) outside and then feed her breakfast. Laugh because my 20lb cat is afraid of the 4lb dog. Get myself ready for work and arrive by 8am.
  • Have a slightly frustrating morning trying to fix an STR (Software Trouble Report). Have several conferences with Steve (since it involves his code, too) and come up with a solution. Somewhere in there I conference with the other Steve on current integration STR status. And on the lack of availability of conference rooms with projectors on Thursday.
  • No time to implement said solution before the section meeting at 11:30. I really dislike section meetings because they're "on our own time" because they buy us lunch. I somehow think that an hour of my time is worth slightly more than a cheese steak sandwich and a bag of Baked Lay's. Nevertheless, I did bake cupcakes to bring with me, and they all got snarfed up by the end of the day. :)
  • Still no time to implement the solution because at 1pm we have our weekly team status meeting. It runs over until after 2pm.
  • When I get back to my desk, I realize that I haven't heard from my car repair shop (having the AC fixed) and give them a call. They don't know exactly what the problem is but have put in a temporary fix, so I call Darren, go pick him up at work (I've been driving the 4Runner for 2 days) and go get my car. 
  • Darren goes back to work and I go home for a few minutes because my Cricut Expression arrived today and I didn't want to leave it sitting on the front porch. I also checked the mail, took Sasha outside, and took a shower. Yes, you read that right. 5 minutes in the shower is my reset button- it wakes me up more than coffee ever could. Grab clothes to change into for orchestra rehearsal and head back to work.
  • Finally, finally get the STR solution implemented, and thankfully it works!! Unfortunately, it starts working at 5:28, and it's one of those that has to sit for a few minutes to make sure it really took. I really, really need to leave to make it to Willowbrook for orchestra rehearsal, so I decide to run to the bathroom down the hall, change clothes, and run back to check on it. Thankfully it's still working. I grab my stuff (including the empty cupcake carriers) and run by Steve's office on the way out to tell him the good news.
  • Drive to Willowbrook and get there just in time for the 6pm start of rehearsal. I've not been going to Wednesday night practices for a while and have forgotten how much fun they are.
  • Get out of rehearsal at 7:15 and stop by Target. We're out of eggs and oil and getting dangerously low on cake mix and frosting.
  • Drive home and unload the car. Take Sasha outside and then feed her dinner in the kitchen while I cook cajun chicken (for dinner) and cupcakes (to take to work the next day...again). While things are cooking, I unload, reload, and start the dishwasher and start a load of laundry.
  • As soon as the last cupcakes come out of the oven and are cooling, I change clothes, grab the iPad, and head to the gym. 45 minutes on the elliptical (at 9pm!). At least I get to read while working out- the current book is Star Wars: Backlash.
  • Go back home and take a shower (yes, I am shower crazy). Once out, I take care of getting things ready for the next day- plug in the iPhone to charge, put Sasha in her crate, and make sure all the food is put away in the kitchen. Oh, and I frost the cupcakes and put red, white, and blue sprinkles on them. :)
  • The last thing to do for the night is to hang the laundry up to dry...and then fall into bed at 11:15. 
I'm totally not complaining, but, man, was that a busy day!