Wednesday, April 28, 2010

5K Update

I've run quite a few 5Ks this month (okay, just three). I went to the last two solo since Darren had other obligations those mornings, so I don't have any photos of me (except the one I managed to pull off Facebook).

See me in the middle there, playing with my iPhone? :) Yes, I can and have run races without my iPod, but given a choice I'll take it along every time. That particular race was sponsored by Chick-Fil-A, and the t-shirts were awesome!

I think it's my favorite shirt so far! There were cows everywhere- cow mascots in costume, gigantic blow-up cows, people ringing cowbells at the corners, and they even handed us little stuffed cows as we crossed the finish line. It was quite cool. They also offered me a chicken sandwich about 30 seconds after I finished, and my stomach nearly revolted at the thought of eating so soon after running! I did go back and get one about 15 minutes later, though, along with a cookie from Starbucks and a banana. They really did feed us well. :)

My time was 30:46, which I wasn't extremely happy with- one of these days I'd like to break 30 minutes. The full results are here, and there is another writeup about it here.

A couple of hours after running I was supposed to go hiking/caving with these guys, and to my credit I did make it half a mile in before having a knee problem, falling, sliding down a small hill, and totally torquing my knee again.

Luckily I was able to make it back out (Darren walked with me) and drive home. So I missed getting to see this (I left the D3 and my 14-24mm wide angle lens with Darren so he could get pics)...

...and instead got to sit on my rear end the rest of the weekend with my leg in the DynaSplint trying to loosen my knee back out. ACL surgery sucks, even six months later.

The next weekend, though, I was feeling much improved and ran another 5K, this time with the local YMCA. My time was 31:00, which I was was really happy with because there was a monster hill at mile 2. I ran it all the way, but hills really do slow you down a lot. The time was good enough to put me in third for my division.

I was totally solo and don't even have a Facebook photo for this one, so here are a couple of pics I snapped with the iPhone.

Post-race snack...yum! I actually ate two packages.

The Red Robin mascot came out, and the kids had a lot of fun with him (her?).

I was supposed to run another 5K last Saturday, but it was canceled due to severe thunderstorms. Wimps. :) Running in the rain isn't that bad!